What inspires you?


It's something to ask yourself everyday. I know so many people who wake up, each day, uninspired by what they do. I'm not suggesting we are all supposed to clap our hands with glee at the thought of going to work (let's get real). But within everything we do, regardless of the passion we have for it, there must be something in there that we find inspiring or a reason that inspires us to continue doing what we do.


I found this picture last night. This is Lucy and she has Downs Syndrome. According to the Downs Syndrome Association of NSW, Lucy loves triathlon and has competed in the last two Triathlon Pink events. What I love about sport is that it has no barriers. Sport is free, there are no conditions, just a love and a passion of whatever it is that you choose to play.

I love that sport is so accessible to the physically and intellectually disabled. I love watching the footage from the Hawaiian Ironman of those athletes with missing limbs, getting out there and absolutely smoking the course. If you think playing sport is hard, try training and racing with one leg. Or an intellectual disability, overcoming all the prejudices that life already throws at you.

Knowing that there are triathlon events out there, openly accommodating people like Lucy, makes me proud to be involved in this sport. We (as in, abled body and mind athletes) may progress past the enticer distances or Active Feet, but these events play such an important part in the triathlon fabric and one that can be overlooked is allowing people like Lucy to participate.

This is particularly inspiring for me as my brother also has Downs Syndrome and loves sport. He loves basketball and the gym. The smile on his face when he plays is something else, it brings him so much joy. He can't ride a bike so will never get to experience triathlon, so when I race or train, it's partly for him too.

My love for this sport extends to all those people who will never get to experience it but get out there everyday. against a whole range of other adversities, and participate. Life is only hard if we make it that way, and remembering people like Lucy and my brother is what keeps me inspired to work towards my goals - because there are so many people out there that are not given the opportunities we have and we are kidding ourselves if we think that we have it tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment