Consistency - the athlete's insurance policy

It's now officially less than 4 weeks until race day. Numbers have been released and I've been given number 843. I'm someone who has this thing about race numbers - as soon as I get one, I get a 'feel' for the number. My Noosa number - ok. Geelong number - awful. Xavier's Ironman Melbourne number - fantastic. Strangely, each of these 'feelings' have translated 100% of the time into the race result. So let's call me the triathlon number whisperer.

So, on reading 843, my initial feeling was "Great. Strong". Honestly. I had no basis for those thoughts, I didn't force them, it was just the first sense I got that was connected to those numbers. I know some of you will laugh, but we all have our pre-race rituals, traditions or routines and this one is mine.

It gave me an acute sense of calm. Not confidence, not motivation. Just calm. It's like the pieces of this race puzzle are starting to come together, and as the race gets closer, I am slowly starting to become calmer and at peace with the concept of racing a half ironman in what will be less than 18 months after my first triathlon.

The last few weeks have presented some challenges, so it was only in the second half of this week that I picked up some decent training again. Riding 1.5hrs Thursday, 4hrs Friday and 3.5hrs of hills today (Sunday) meant that this was my biggest ride week to date. I wasn't sure how things would turn out, if my body would cooperate or just rebel with the load that was suddenly thrown at it. As it turns out, things went better then I could have expected. I rode (too hard, not following the program - stupid) on Friday but this didn't noticeably affect my hill work today. Legs were fresh, still had the usual power in them and I came off the bike with gas. Given the last few weeks, this was a massive confidence boost which I can only attribute to one thing.

Consistency.

I started working with a new coach in early November 2011. Since then, I have very rarely missed sessions (only if I was sick or injured) and even then tried to limit them to either swim squad or others that I think are 'second tier' (i.e. try never to miss a long run, long ride or interval work). I know people thought I was crazy, but I trained Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day, my 30th birthday and all over this Easter long weekend - the times people would think are a little odd to train. I've trained in howling wind, rain, heat and cold. I've swam in ice cold water. Bottom line, I've tried my best to be consistent and log consistent hours, week in, week out. For 5 months.

So I feel like, finally, this consistency is starting to pay some dues and propping me up during the times I can't be as consistent. It's like an insurance policy that I'm now claiming on and it's paying up, big time. It's the reason I can get back on the bike, ride my biggest week, and feel good. It's the reason I can get back in the pool for the first time in too long and swim without feeling like a maimed seal gasping for air. Sure it's not perfect, but the point is I'm no worse off.

The training I've done, the programs I've been set, have worked, have put the fitness and strength in my body where they need to be and I can trust that it's there. The next 3 weeks will be, as my coach says, about 'tweaking' this and fine tuning around the edges.

The priority now is to stay healthy, not an easy feat in Melbourne where 100% of the people I work with have been off sick at some point in the past 2 weeks. But I will be doing my best to cotton wool myself so I can toe the line fit, strong and ready to race.


No comments:

Post a Comment