Don't think. Just do.

For people who aren't involved in triathlon, announcing you are training for one can sometimes elevate you to a status somewhere around an athletic god. The non-triathletes (the "NT"s) don't know the difference between a sprint race and an ironman; all they know is that triathlon involves three sports in one and MAN that is HARD. Plus you have to SWIM. In the OCEAN. Wow you must be fit! Why do you do it?

I never get tired of the awe in NT's voices (and sometimes the undertones of "you nut bag, why on earth would you waste weekends like that?!") when they find out you race in triathlons, because it is the dose of reality-checking you need when you are caught up in the "world". You can get so immersed in training (was it a good session? bad? were you tired/dehydrated/on pace/under speed), critiquing everything you do, meticulously planning your swim/bike/run/eat/sleep/repeat and race schedule, wondering if you should think about a new frame/new helmet/new wheels/new aero hydration system (don't laugh, we have all thought about it) that sometimes you can forget the very fact we are involved with the sport is a pretty amazing accomplishment in itself.

You laugh off these comments by saying things like it's-no-big-deal-its-a-lifestyle etc, the NTs look at you like you're from another planet (their minds thinking 'how can riding a bike with those skinny little wheels and skinny little seats be a lifestyle?') and you look at them like they're from another planet (you thinking 'I'd ride my bike any day if it meant not waking up on Sunday with a brain mashing hangover - EVERY weekend').

And it's true - triathlon is a great lifestyle and forces you to be extremely disciplined with time. I'm at the stage where life is in a pretty good routine. Week on week it's a bit of a groundhog day, but in a good way. I'm happy that I've gotten consistency with my work/training week...well, consistent. There's no questions to ask, there's no if/buts/maybes. The routine is set and it rolls on. This makes training so much easier as there is no space for even asking the question "should I go to training? do I feel like training?" I just do. Why? Because it's in the routine. Just like going to work, eating breakfast and showering before bed. It's now part of my life.

Over the past few weeks, I've realised just how important this autopilot is and these unsolicited NT remarks. Melbourne has turned on some ripping summer weather of late; I never would have thought there could ever be a downside to this, but there is - training in the heat can be a real bitch. I've written before how much I have struggled with heat in the past. Without a routine, without this autopilot, it could be very tempting to convince myself that it's OK to miss a session because it's too hot/too windy/too humid. But.....I don't. Sure it's mildly uncomfortable, some adjustments are needed to the normal nutrition plan but my thinking is you just get out and do it. The session is set for a reason; come race day, you can't choose what weather is given so training in whatever is thrown at you not only makes you a stronger athlete but a better prepared one.

The NTs (and sometimes, the Ts) will say they can't believe so-and-so went and rode in whatever conditions were present. But these are the exact conditions we should train in; they prepare us for the worst so, come race day, we are equipped to handle whatever conditions are thrown our way. And that is why routine is so important - to improve performance through consistent training and prepare us for racing in every condition.

Adopting this attitude requires a certain focus - a goal that sits in your mind, every day, demanding your attention. I am a firm believer that, deep down, we all know what we are capable of - but the catch is you must know yourself first in order to know the answer to this question. There are things that I know I am not capable of, but there are things that I deeply believe I can achieve. And these are the goals worth pursuing, relentlessly, because the greatest disappointment in life is not fulfilling your potential.

And if you ever feel any doubt about that - go and tell an NT you race triathlons. They'll remind you that you're awesome :)

"The greatest battle is not the physical but the psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, the steady, dignity that simply refuses to give in.


Courage. We all suffer. Keep going"


(Graeme Fife)

1 comment:

  1. Love the quote. Was the exact epiphany I had (again!) on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete