Making it happen


Damn straight. I turn 30 in a couple of months and everyone tells me this is supposed to have some profound impact on me, that I'm apparently going to wake up the morning of my birthday and "feel differently" and suddenly my goalposts will shift and I will have a burning urge to navigate my way towards a husband, children and a house in the suburbs with a kitchen that has matching cutlery, a MixMaster and one of those industrial fridges with the ice maker in the front door.

Unlikely.

What I do know is that there has been some significant changes in my life leading up to this milestone birthday of 30. Priorities have shifted (just none that involve the above mentioned suburban dream); my attitude has changed and my outlook on life is different in one enormous way.

Right now, at age 29 and 10 months, I freaking love my life.

I love so many parts of my life and am so grateful for the opportunities and experiences I have.  There is no luck involved; I didn't wake up one day to this and think "what a nice surprise!" There are no shortcuts, no quick hints and no easy steps to happiness - just a lot (a LOT) of hard work and wanting what you want badly enough to work for it.

I am happy; confident; motivated; committed; excited; fit; healthy; strong. I am committed, resolutely, to training and am seeing the results. No missed sessions, no excuses, no trade-offs, no quick fixes. Just solid, consistent hard work and listening, learning and discovering along the way.

I feel tough, mentally tough. I'm ready to race, I'm ready to 'embrace the pain' and push through to the other side. Most importantly, I'm ready to race myself. I am my biggest competitor.

By far the biggest thing, the biggest change in me right now at age 29 and 10 months, is that I believe in myself. I believe I can do this, whatever "this" is. It doesn't matter. The goalpost changes every day, whether it's getting through a 3k set in the pool, a 15km run or a long ride. It doesn't matter what "it" is. What matters is that you don't give up, you stay focussed and you trust, you believe, that you can do it. You will get through, no excuses, no complaints and no giving up. Because I'm better than that. You're better than that.

There's a big difference between interest and commitment; when you're interested in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses - only results.






No comments:

Post a Comment